Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Week 7--By Necessity: Night Photography

I had a horrible realization with the change of daylight saving time ... nights come quicker. Which means days are shorter. Which means light (good, bad, just in general) is gone as quickly as it comes. Which means my recent feelings of success were about to come to an end.

If was to continue shooting, it would have to be at night. Which means one thing: Star photography. Which, wouldn't you guess it, was the one thing I was trying to avoid. Why, you might ask? Well, my first attempts at star photography failed. And I mean failed in a delete-the-photos-burn-the-memory-card-and-bury-the-ashes sort of way.

But, I was uneducated, unstudied in that concept. I called a couple of my old photography teachers, and asked for their input. I read article after article, and wrote down tips after tips. All throughout these past 6 weeks I have tried this type of photography. And I tried, tried and tried again.

Then, I decided to try it out on a bigger scale. And with this whole new way of shooting, with new settings and new locations, new lighting, and new creative ideas it was a bit intense. You are literally shooting in the dark--you look through your lens and you see nothing. And then, somehow, you click and a semi-decent picture comes out! I could see myself throughout this week, building schemas, running and re-writing scripts and relying on mentors and then, much like an apprentice, taking that first blind, yet confident, step. These the only two survivors of these process:

This one was interesting to shoot. I left the shutter open for 30 seconds, and the camera was so sensitive to light, that it picked up a street lamp across the road and highlighted the summit orange.



I wanted to capture a contrast of lights--lights below and lights above sort of feel. The joys of small towns. There is a milky way every night, and stars to behold!


Needless, to say, I am getting better at this, and trying harder. In fact ... this may just be my new favorite way of photographing landscapes!


No comments:

Post a Comment