Thursday, October 15, 2015

Week 3--Lighting

In photography there is a taught-schema that there is “good” light and “bad” light. In every photographer’s schema, you’ll find a time of day that is the “golden-hour”, a time when the light is not harsh, it is even, slightly tinted (usually “golden” because of sunsets) and it creates a perfectly lit vista. Like such…



However, schemas are meant to be updated, changed, evolved, reconstructed and that is what I hope to do. I have read some articles about using harsh mid-day lighting (usually labeled as “bad” lighting) as an advantage. (http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/how-to/shooting/b-and-w-in-harsh-light.html#.VhchcbQ-DVo) (http://digital-photography-school.com/are-you-practicing-these-5-natural-lighting-tips/) (http://digital-photography-school.com/bright-ideas-for-shooting-in-midday-sun/) Especially when you use black and white as an editing tool.

 I hope that by experimenting with this lighting, I can change my semantic network of lighting. Here are 3 pictures taken during bad lighting that sort of turned out okay…




I obviously need to practice editing under this lighting circumstance but I did have a good experience, which, according to empiricism, is the first step to knowledge! The more I do it, the better I’ll know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment